New Orleans Pre-School Expansion Project
The Pre-School Expansion Project (PEG) is funded as a part of the New Orleans Early Education Network (NOEEN). Since 2015, PEG has provided free preschool to more than one hundred four-year old children across the city each year. Agenda for Children currently administers the program, which is offered on-site at participating early learning centers. The project is a part of the state’s long term goal of enrolling 100% of at-risk four year-olds in a publicly funded preschool program.. Classrooms funded by PEG meet all of the quality requirements of publicly funded programs in public and private schools (such as LA4 and NSECD), but are offered instead in private Type III early learning centers.
Reports To: The teacher reports to the center director and is expected to work collaboratively with the PEG coordinator/coach.
Position Responsibilities: The teacher will have the following responsibilities:
Assessment and Instruction
- Plan, prepare, and deliver lesson plans effectively, using Creative Curriculum;
- Use GOLD by Teaching Strategies to conduct ongoing, authentic assessments of every child in the classroom;
- Administer and develop subject specific assessments for the purpose of assessing student competency levels and/or addressing individual student’s needs;
- Work collaboratively with an assistant teacher, sharing responsibility for instruction and assessment;
- Maintain accurate and complete records of children’s progress and development;
- Meet deadlines for student data input, completing lesson plans, and providing checkpoints;
- Use relevant technology to support instruction;
- Provide a developmentally appropriate classroom environment that reflects the children’s learning and growth;
- Maintain ongoing, open communication with parents/ caregivers and plan quarterly parent conferences to discuss children's developmental progress, needs and interests;
- Liaison with children's families to ensure smooth transition from home to school, including providing parents/guardians with activities and ideas for extending and reinforcing lessons learned in the classroom
- Actively supervise children to ensure a safe and positive learning environment;
- Ensure that the classroom remains in compliance with licensing standards
Professional Learning and Development
- Attend and actively participate in the Teacher Orientation at the beginning of the school year;
- Attend and actively participate in professional development activities that are planned during the school year;
- Attend other meetings as designated by the center director and PEG coordinator/coach.
The teacher must possess at least one of the following credentials:
- A valid and current Louisiana teaching certificate in PK-3, Nursery School, Kindergarten, Early Interventionist Birth- 5, or Non-categorical Preschool Handicapped.
- A Practitioner License in PreK-3.
- A valid and current Louisiana teaching certificate in Elementary Education and an Out-of-Field Authorization to Teach (OFAT) in PK-3, Nursery School, Kindergarten, Early Interventionist Birth-5, or Non-categorical Preschool Handicapped.
- An uncertified teacher with a baccalaureate degree and a Temporary Authority to Teach (TAT), Temporary Employment Permit (TEP), or an Out-of- State Certification in PK-3, Nursery School, Kindergarten, Early Interventionist Birth-5, or Non-categorical Preschool Handicapped. Lead teachers with temporary credentials must be working their certificate during their year of employment.
Additionally, the teacher must also:
- Demonstrate passion for working with four-year old children
- Be willing to accept constructive criticism and feedback toward the ultimate outcome of becoming the best possible teacher
- Be reliable, well-organized, and a motivated self-starter
- Be able to manage a broad range of tasks simultaneously
- Have excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Be competent in using computer technology and software
Special Working Requirements: The teacher must also:
- Possess a no substantiation or criminal conviction of child abuse or neglect
- Obtain a clear background check through the State of Louisiana